Links this week:
- Each of us descends many times over from a great many sexual despots.
- In every generation, we forget how much poorer we used to be.
- Regression and other related non-experimental pattern-finding methods of this type can sound hyper-technical and very gee-whiz (“support vector machines” – cool!), and they can serve various useful purposes. … But they are simply not fit for the task of making reliable, non-obvious predictions for the effects of most contested policy interventions.
- Reinterpreting Stanley Milgram’s famous experiment.
- Endogenous preferences.
- Cognitive vs. behavioral in psychology, economics, and political science.